Author: Mike Boehmer
Methylene Blue is a fascinating substance that has been repurposed many times since its discovery in the 1880s.
Methylene Blue is an FDA approved drug, classified as a redox buffer, meaning it can be repetitively oxidized and reduced, thus it can ‘store’ or ‘buffer’ both intracellular and extracellular redox potential. It can accept or donate electrons to electrochemical reactions of all sorts, throughout the entire body, thus it impacts many diverse conditions that share redox imbalance and oxidative stress signaling as a root cause. Thus, methylene blue is one of the very few clinical agents available that directly impacts redox potential and oxidative stress.
There are over 50,000 published articles on methylene blue and its many uses. Most recently, Methylene Blue has been found of value in treating multiple aspects of COVID19 and post-COVID syndromes. Here are some of the observed effects:
- Redox buffering in the general circulation to improve hemoglobin’s oxygen carrying properties
- Direct neutralization of ROS and RNS, preventing downstream pro-inflammatory signaling
- Direct neutralization of superoxide anion produced by xanthine oxidase pathway, reducing pro-oxidant signaling
- Reduces nitric oxide production by inhibition of nitric oxide synthase, thus reducing the production of RNS
- Direct attenuation of NF-kB, directly suppressing production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and downstream pathologic immune system polarization. (IL6, IL17 leading to TH17 and TH2 polarization during viral infection reduces antiviral immune response)
- Direct enhancement of mitochondrial functioning via redox buffering, thus increasing cellular energy production
- Quenching of free radicals in the mitochondria, reducing pro-inflammatory signaling
- A photoactive substance, MB functions as an antiviral/antifungal/antibacterial agent when combined with photodynamic therapy.
- By buffering redox signaling and reducing systemic oxidative stress levels and chronic inflammation, MB helps increase cellular longevity and thus has an anti-aging effect.
Articles for Further Reading: